Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Conversation with Fitzin

This morning when I fed my horses I tried to have a conversation with Fitzin (my spooky, scared of everything horse).

In an earlier blog, I did describe some things about Fitzin and why I believe he has some of his problems. I am working with him to hopefully fix some of those problems. Problems I created because of my inexperience.

This morning while he ate I brushed him. A common belief among natural horse trainers, is that when the horses head is up, they are right brained, on adrenaline, on alert, ready to run or fight, ready to do whatever takes to stay alive. Once there head goes down, the endorphines are triggered, the feel goods.


So, in my mind, if I can have a conversation with Fitzin while his head is down, while he is in a feel good state of mind, hopefully he will relate me to that feel good moment. Maybe he can start to trust me and gain some confidence.


Are you asking, "Where's the conversation? Aren't you, ramblin renogamma, horse trainer, doing all the talking?"

In this beginning, I still might be. But, I am working on turning it into a conversation. Trying hard to listen to him.


This morning I watched for any moment when he was calm. That's when I would walk away to clean out the brush. That's when I would turn away to take any pressure off him. The retreat in the approach and retreat. Try to always leave before the horse does, always try to leave when the horse is still calm and trusting.


Whenever I would reapproach, his head would again go up, his neck all braced and stiff. "Please don't kill me! Please don't eat me!"


Calmly, letting out a deep breathe, and being very calm and quiet (BUT NEVER SNEAKY), I would let him sniff the brush, then start brushing his shoulder. When he would lower his head to eat I continued to brush the rest of him. Then, only when his head was down, when he was a feel good moment, I would retreat.


The last thing you do to a horse, is what he remembers, whether good or bad. This I learned from Joyce Gay who has the Natural Horsemanship Training Center here in northern Nevada.


I was trying very hard to have a conversation with Fitzin, "No, I am not going to kill you. No, I am not going to eat you. You don't have to be scared all the time. It's okay to be with people."


How do I relate this grandbabies? Just be sure to have a conversation with them. There's nothing better for a person's ego than to know you believe they are important enough to have a true conversation with.

No comments: