Friday, February 6, 2009

Working at Home vs Working at an Office Somewhere Else

Well now, the more I think about going back to work at the location of my employer versus doing my job at home, the more my whole insides screams it doesn't want to leave home.

This is something I have been praying about. Every since a building fell on me I have been trying to analyse why, and, yah, WHY!!! I had a conversation with a couple of ladies I work with before the building incident. I was feeling very frustrated because even working just part-time, I had no time for my horses. Just like my insides screaming about working for someone else, my insides scream about my horses. I am supposed to have and do with horses. At least according to my gut. Just like I am not supposed to work for someone else, I am supposed to work for myself. And I will work. I have proven that.

Just think about the economics of working at home versus driving to another location to do my work. This relates to an article by my brother-in-law, "The Economics of Being a Cheapo." (Read it at: http://www.homestead.org/. Go to articles on "Frugality", go to the bottom and search for Jan Cooke on Homestead. org to see his articles.) By working at home, I get a raise. This is not only in a monetary amount, but also in a time amount. I have way more time for myself and my homelife. That is actually more important to me than the money.

I love being at my home. I love being able to look out my window as I work and see my horses. I love to be able to take a break and take a walk with my dogs. I love being able to take a break and throw some dishes into the dishwasher or a load of laundry into the washing machine. I don't have to wait until the weekend, or the evening, when I am already drained from putting up with office politics, or the assorted personalities and conflicts.

Actually, I enjoy the people and their assorted personalities. I just like to be able to do my work when it is supposed to be done and not have to deal with those personalities when I am supposed to be working. It is so difficult to stay focused when there is turmoil all around you. And that seems to happen quite often when you work in an office with other people in close range.

When I am at home, if my dogs decide to get all riled up and bark about who knows what, I can throw them all outside (except the little one-don't want her getting eaten). In an office environment, you can't just walk away, or tell everyone to leave when some one person decides to get on a roll about some subject, and won't shutup. You, I, have to be polite and listen to them, and maybe say some things to help their life. Okay, that might be my own fault, since school, I have been told, "You are such a good listener. Just talking to you, I feel so much better." I usually never said a word. The person just needed to talk to figure things out. Maybe I should have been a psychologist or psychiatrist. I probably would have made a bunch more money, and it was something I already did and seemed to be good at. (Listen to people.)

But, it's not what I did. Instead, I became a bookkeeper. When I took a bookkeeping class my senior year of high school, it was the one class that seemed to make sense to me. Everything was pretty black and white. You just followed the rules and everything fell into place. Not like in life where just following the rules still leaves so many unanswered questions.

Okay, I know I'm rambling, but that building falling on me left me in such a position of wanting change. What is the right change though? What is the plan for me?

Time for more prayer.

Oh, by the way, I am adding Chris Tomlin (I love his verson of "Amazing Grace", not the video, but the singing) to my video bars at the bottom of this page. I couldn't find a way to have a playlist, so added the video bars instead. They are at the bottom of this page. So far haven't found a way to add just my favorite songs by certain artists, but have added the artists with songs selected by UTube. Hope you enjoy. So far, Chris Tomlin and Third Day are my favorites.

No comments: